Saturday, January 24, 2009

Break it down.

Here's what my move set that I put together myself looked like a few months ago:

Hand moves-

straight punch
uppercut
side chop
downward strike
backfist
Shock Slam
palm thrust
upward palm
side elbow
downward punch
leopard paw
dual blades
double layer strike
rising chop
upward elbow

Leg moves

front kick
side kick
hook kick
inside kick
outside kick
reverse kick
forward reverse kick

I wanted to make a set based on everything I've learned, but weeding out the moves that wouldn't be very practical in a real fight. I looked at all my old rank move sheets, went over each move a few times, and took out the unnecessary ones. I thought this was a good list, especially since in going over it, most of the moves worked muscles that I don't use while lifting weights or doing home exercises.

Many of these moves are basic, especially the kicks, and I didn't include anything very flashy or fancy. Why not? It's obvious. Spinning kicks, no matter how fast you may go, leave you wide open. I wouldn't dare compare Shotokan moves to the horrible things they teach people in Tae Kwon Do, but a lot of styles have kicks where you turn around before delivering the blow, giving the opponent that split second of time when they can do anything. They could simply step out of the way, sweep your standing leg, or pull you backwards and end it right there. And if you throw kicks that are always aimed for the face and head, you're leaving yourself open there too. Unless it's a sure thing, I'd prefer to stick with the body or using kicks as pushes or leads into a solid elbow strike.

I won't go into the whole real world fighting vs dojo fighting topic right now, since that's a lengthy subject, but that's the main point ot this list as well. From what I saw at first, all of these moves seemed like they could be used in a fight, many of them ending it with the first strike.

I came to the conclusion that while this list is good, it needed some tweaking. The leg moves stayed pretty much the same, but I added in one that seems amature-ish but is still effective. Forward reverse kick was removed because it's too risky, plus it's weak. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing anyone use this ever. Why did I throw it on the list in the first place? Over my time in Shotokan and when I tried other styles, I learned a lot of leg moves, but the basics are all you'll really need. That's why that section's so short. These are the sheer basics of leg moves, with the slight exception of the hook kick. But that can be learned easily.

The hand moves were moved around a little, and I added in a couple that I realized would be practical in a real fight. Downward strike was changed to a completely different move as well. I also added targets to each move on the list. (s) = stomach, (h) = head, (n) = neck, (c) = chest, (b) = body, (g) = groin, (r) = ribs. This set list doesn't include grabs/throws yet, since I haven't had a person to try them on in a long time. That could be changing soon, but we'll see. Anyway, here's the revised list:

Hand moves-

-straight punch (h) (s)
-side chop (n) (r)
-rising chop (n) (h)
-uppercut (s)
-Koho Tsuki Age / rising chin punch (h) [under the chin)
-backfist (h)
-Shock Slam (h)* (b) * = this could be fatal, so stick with the body version
-Twin Hand Waves (h) + (c)
-eye/neck dual hit* (h) (n) (finger stab to the eyes and punch to the neck at the same time)
-palm thrust (c) (s)
-leopard paw (n) (s) (c)
-finger stab (h) (n) (c) (r)
-dual blades (n) then (r)
-straight elbow (h) (c) (s)
-reverse elbow (h)
-rising elbow (c) (h)
-double layer strike (h) (b) (c)
-downward punch (s) (g)

Leg moves-

-front kick (h) (s)
-groin kick (g)
-side kick (s)
-inside kick (h)
-outside kick (h)
-hook kick (h) (n)

That does it for now. I need to go over this revised list tonight or sunday after I go to the gym. There won't be many throws or holds included here, mostly because that's not my style. It's funny how I went from 80% kicks when I was a young teenager, to building my upper body strength these last 2 years and going with a lot more strikes and specific area moves (palm, first two knuckles, side of hand, etc.). There are 3 hand moves on this set that cause shockwaves when done right. Because I don't have an opponent to practice these on, I can only get it to happen maybe 40% of the time (when I use these moves on a tree or wall, I can tell when it happens. Your body, legs and arms feel it). Those moves aren't to be used like all the others though. They're too dangerous. Just look at Bruce Lee's infamous One Inch Punch. That's just from a one inch distance, while the 3 on here are full-on strikes. And I know I've seen him use the Shock Slam before, though it was just in a movie. 'still got the point across.

No comments:

Post a Comment